Thursday, August 15, 2013

MTC Post: letter2

"On your mission you will receive revelation and inspiration in Fijian because the Holy Ghost speaks PERFECT Fijian."


Bula Vinaka everyone!

Vakacava tiko? I hope you're all doing well. The MTC is still awesome and I'm starting to get the hang of things here. All we do is pray, read scriptures, learn Fijian, teach lessons in Fijian, and eat! haha. Well I have developed a love for the language which makes me love the people and I haven't even met them yet. Crazy how that works! But I know the Lord is helping me tremendously because I learn so much every single day. 

I'm already teaching my second and third investigator here at the MTC and I feel it becoming easier and easier to prepare lessons and understand what the investigator is saying. Instead of just saying what I memorized, I'm able to speak from my heart and listen to what the spirit wants me to say. Sometimes what I'm trying to say doesn't make sense, the spirit helps the investigator as well to know what I'm saying. Something cool that my teacher told me this week is that since we're not from Fiji and we're learning their language, the Fijians are going to know that we aren't native speakers and their going to know we're still learning. So they're going to try that much harder to listen to us and try to understand everything we're saying compared to someone who speaks Fijian already and just talks really fast. When you learn a new language you have to simplify your sentences and by simplifying your sentences it makes it easier for the investigator to understand the doctrine you're teaching. So I'm truly excited to go to Fiji but not yet because I know there's so much more I need to learn here at the MTC.


This week in the MTC I felt like the theme was prayer. Almost in every single class and meeting we talked about prayer. It shows how important it is to pray to our Heavenly Father. He wants to know what's going on in our lives and how He can help. It's like when you have a friend who lives far away and you never talk to them. But when you finally do talk to them, you're so excited and happy and want to just tell them everything that's been going on. It's the same with our Heavenly Father. He's far away but He wants to hear everything that we've been up to and wants us to pour our hearts out to Him. The times when we don't want to pray is when we NEED to pray! In my personal study, I studied Enos. It's my favorite book in the Book of Mormon right now because it talks about prayer and how powerful it is. Enos prayed for forgiveness with all his heart and he prayed all day and the Lord forgave him of all his sins. Then instead of praying for himself or his friends, he FIRST prays for his enemies. That takes so much love and forgiveness to pray for your enemies. I definitely need to work on that. But go re-read that book because it's the best ever!! It definitely strengthens your testimony about prayer and makes you re-think if you're praying enough. 

This Tuesdays devotional was so special because it was the first time that the Provo MTC broadcasted a devotional to all the MTCs in the world and it was amazing! Along with it being the first time for a broadcast, we had Elder Richard G. Scott come and talk to us. It was awesome! The spirit was so strong and the presence of an apostle of the Lord just brings a sense of peace throughout the auditorium. He talked to us about prayer and how important it is to pray, not just privately but out loud. When we pray out loud, we tend to pour out our hearts unto the Lord. One of my favorite things he said was that sometimes Heavenly Father doesn't give us an answer to our prayers because he wants us to struggle a little so we can grow. He said there are three different answers from the Holy Ghost. Number one, a sense of peace and comfort which means the answer is yes. Number two, is a sense of uneasiness and your stomach starts to turn then the answer is no. And number three, the Holy Ghost gives you no answer. It is at this time when there is no answer that our Heavenly Father is letting us act on what we think is right in order to grow. It all makes perfect sense now and now we can recognize these different answers. At the end of his talk, Elder Scott did something really special. He gave all those who were attending or watching an Apostolic blessing. In his blessing he blessed that all of us who were learning a new language would receive the gift of tongues. OHHHMMMGOSH!! It was so amazing! What a blessing right!? It motivated me to work so much harder as I try to learn this new language an to put all my effort and energy into practicing the language. My goal is to know atleast 1000 words before I leave the MTC and atleast 200 phrases. That's a lot of work but I'm determined. So this was the highlight of my week, hearing an apostle of the Lord speak to us as missionaries.

4 more weeks and then off to Fiji! I'm already getting kind of a FOB accent from speaking Fijian haha. I love you all and don't be afraid to send me letters, emails, or packages lol nah nah. Love you guys and miss you!!

Loloma levu,
Sista Chong









No comments:

Post a Comment